Monday, March 12, 2007

Word a Music




Long time no hear.

a small selection. keep them close, play them right... you might just be lucky.

SURPRISE
1. Karen Dalton - Katie Cruel
Occasionally you find a track peeking through an album, the quiet one at the back, too lost in thought to speak out.

PAIN
2. Band of Horses
Recent events, hurtful irony, glorious release.

ANTICIPATION
3. The Police - Bring on the Night
I used to dance around the living room to "Walking on the Moon" when I was 6 (I know what you're thinking and no, I'm not 34 yet.) I only heard the whole album properly last year. This track... well.

HUMILITY
4. Elvis Presley/The Wailers - Crying in The Chapel
If only chalk and cheese tasted as good as this sounds.

PURPOSE
5. Jonathan Richman & The Modern Lovers - Egyptian Reggae
I like getting places with this song, it sounds more like Cowboy Reggae than Egyptian to me, maybe that's because I haven't been to Egypt yet.

STRENGTH
6. Sizzla - Solid as a Rock
I'll forgive the Gerry Rafferty esque intro, FIGHTING TALK!

WARMTH
7. Oliver Sain - On the Hill
Yeah, it didn't take me long did it. Back to the jazz, bite the groove. pluck those nerves. Where did I hear this before?

DELICACY
8. Andy Williams - Sunny
There are so many versions of this song. Two other favourites are the obvious Marvin Gaye and less so Les McCann versions. This softly brushes Les's aside in the laid back stakes. As sampled by Lewis Parker/Profound. Sunny Dedications indeed.

REFLECTION
9. John Coltrane - Wise One
I was listening to Humphrey Lyttelton's show on Radio 2 earlier. He'll be 86 I think this May. He's Giving up the radio show to concentrate more on his band. I don't know why, perhaps in awe, but it made me pour a glass of red wine and listen to this. A song to remind you of the carnal musicality built into us all. It's long, not all of it works, and it's not everyone's cup of tea. Occasionally, not every listen, I feel like I just heard a small slice of heaven. Like hot apple crumble and ice cream.

...interlude...
10. Jazzanova ft. Capitol A - Rendezvous
Catch breath, take stock. New Jazzanova! well at least in the form of a film soundtrack. where did Barry go, oh over there, I see him.

GRACE
11. The Matthew Herbert Big Band - Café De Flore
...something I lack. Herbert Big Bands his Dr. Rockit escapade. Sunlit sparkles from the tips of brass under the bandstand. Elderly couples cast shadows of their younger selves onto the bleached summertime grass.

URGENCY
12. Franki Valli - Beggin' (Pilooski edit)
Late? me to... I wont get there on time, but definitely fell quicker.

EUPHORIA
13. Change - Glow of Love
A true guilty pleasure. I dream of an empty club, a big soundsystem and a date on the dancefloor, just this song and me, so no-one can see, how camp my dancing might be.... stand back, I'll spill your drink.

splash

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home