Monday, August 14, 2006

Forget what I said last week

I keep thining of good little clusters of songs to put up here, then I stumble across one track that I love so much or have forgotten (or usually both) about and the whole plan gets delayed again. When i lived in NYC in the late 90's-'01 years there were a whole lot of bands that lived in my neighborhood. These days it's hearing those bands that evoke my time living there more then anything else could. Luna and the Strokes are the first ones that come to mind. They walked the same streets, drank in the same bars, generally just hung around the same places I did. I believe any band signed to Matador in the 90's was contractually obligated to drink at Max Fish at least once a week. I had completely forgotten about their existence until today but White Hassle was another one of those bands. They were Marcellus Hall and Dave Varanka from Railroad Jerk and I think someone from Skeleton Key. They never caused a huge stir but they ticked along just fine in New York and toured Europe. They are now "on hiatus" and probably would have been sooner had it not been for Isacc Brock from Modest Mouse. He tatooed the name of this song on his own forearm. When 'Float On' was being played everywhere from Vh1 to my local gas station he told every journalist that would listen that this was the song that helped pull him out of a depression . Shortly after he asked them to play the first American All Tomorrow's Parties that he curated. I'll leave it to Issac to sum it up better then I could.. "When I heard it, I thought, 'This is nice. This is actually an unsarcastically positive song.' I was like, 'Let's fuck this doom-and- gloom bullshit.' It was a really good thing to get reminded of, you know? I made up my mind that things were going to be better."

White Hassle-Life is Still Sweet

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home