Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Blame it on the Sunshine



I'd been "brewing" a new post for a while, which really meant I was doing other things like being lazy cycling around on "Carmen" swimming in toxic algae and not really brewing anything other than cups of rooibos. Thanks to Grumble & Twitchy kitty got sprayed with the garden hose, so without further ado:

1: Nancy Holloway - Hurts So Bad
I think I might have posted a Nancy tune called "Sand and Rain" before, possibly while drunk, I love that tune, and decided to have a hunt around, this is what turned up. Just love the hit of the real horns. She did some pretty fun stuff in french too by the way; one is a version of "My Guy" called "Bye Bye" worth checking for a bouncy smile

2: Junior Mance - Don't Cha Hear Me Calling To Ya
I've always been a massive fan Ramsey Lewis/Young Holt/Les McCann hard bop soul jazz stuff, but had never picked up any Junior Mance before until this turned up, there's a couple of well used samples in there too.

3: Oh No - Keep Tryin' Feat. Roc C & Aloe Blacc
Was listening to the Stones Throw Podcast (well worth picking up) by Oh No where he twiddles up some old Galt MacDermot stuff, I like this one, it's the rolling bass makes me feel a bit fuzzy, like being wrapped in cotton wool at a big band stand in a park while big men shout in your ears.

4: Back 4 You - Jurassic 5
I know, i know... it's been swinging around for a while, and yes they've become the Hip Hop equivalent of Stadium Rock, but DAMN put yaw hands in the air!

5: Worla Hurt - Bugz In The Attic
I remember seeing Bugz in the Attic at Plastic People and hearing their remixes played out over the silly good system they have in there. Made my stomach rumble, but never made my ears ring. This one's a bit calmer, but the hefty production, the strings, BLAM.

6: Love Version - Derrick Harriot
This song reminds me of driving through tunnels, repetitive lights, muffled noises... then the darkness opens up and you're away... free.

7: Jesus Walks - Kanye West
I watched Dave Chappelle's Block Party the other night, I'd wondered how Kanye got the idea to dress up as a martching band leader with Jamie Foxx... Now I know. Worth seeing for the Mos Def/Chappelle joke session. Isn't this in Jarhead too? Good for busy streets.

EDIT:
I try again

Via Yousendit again

1 Comments:

Blogger grumblemouse said...

still can't get it

7:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home