Wednesday, July 26, 2006

The Mini Apple

Did you know that peeps from Minneapolis called it that? At least my friend Mary does and since she was down with Colbert
back in the day and burns her 8 year old nephews Pixies CD's I think we should do what she says...
Anyway speaking of the Mini Apple I chanced upon some Jayhawks in my pod recently. Now i have hundreds and hundreds of CD's in storage. I would bet most are from '94-'97 when i was a college radio music director and the independent music world was my free swag oyster. Lots of random things that i grew to love came my way and one was the 'Tomorrow The Green Grass' album by the Jayhawks. I guess a lot of people say 'Hollywood Town Hall' was their master piece but no one ever gave that to me free in exchange for air play so i wouldn't know.
The band has been around for 20 years and been through lots of line up changes. You can read more about it here if you care to. The core has always ben Mark Olson and Gary Louris. They have been touring this past year together for the first time in 10 years. As an acoustic duo at that! Something I would have loved to see. Apparently they were not even talking much nevermind writing and playing. But after 9/11 Mark called Gary up, they got back in touch and now we not only have a tour but a new album on the way. Thanks terrorists!
I think 'I'd Run Away With You' is one of the prettiest songs I've heard. Here's an acoustic version w/ just Mark and Gary. The other track is from the No Depression favorite Hollywood Town Hall album.

The Jayhawks-I'd Run Away With You (acoustic)

The Jayhawks-Waiting For the Sun

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home